SCSI card [Re: Bug in the _save_fp_context.]

"Kevin D. Kissell" wrote:

> On another topic, now that I've patched the kernel to
> turn off the stupid stuck interrupt on my Malta board,
> I've realized that I can't just connect my old Atlas SCSI
> disk.  I'm torn between ordering a Tekram 390 PCI
> SCSI card, which should be able to use our "MIPS
> safe" NCR driver as-is (I hope) and buying an IDE
> disk and going through the network install ritual.
> Which do you recommend?  One thing I really never
> knew was just what kernel config options I need to
> select to build a kernel that can do the NFS-root
> bootstrap.  Can you help me there?

Kevin,

If you store your kernel image on flash and boots from there, using a local
hard disk is not a bad idea.  I recently used a SCSI card based on NCR
53C895A.  I have to turn off some optimization in the driver in order to get
it work.  See some related configs below.

CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_DEFAULT_TAGS=0
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_MAX_TAGS=32
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYNC=0

In general NFS root is always easier to get kernel going.  Many defconfigs
under arch/mips/ already have NFS root fs configured as default, at least in
the two I put in, DDB5476 and ocelot.

Jun