Re: [FIX] sysmips(MIPS_ATMIC_SET, ...) ret_from_sys_call vs. o32_ret_from_sys_call

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Afaik the only user of MIPS_ATOMIC_SET ever running on Linux/MIPS is the
> Linuxthreads code you wrote, so no.  Aside of that the semantics of this
> syscall were defined by older MIPS operating systems such as Risc/OS and
> I think we should follow their example.

 I still haven't seen a definite spec for the call.  Since you suggest the
Linuxthreads code is the only user of the code (also remember the
_test_and_set library function as specified by the ABI), we might abandon
MIPS_ATOMIC_SET and write a _test_and_set syscall instead.  No
compatibility issues would be involved and the definition is clear in the
ABI (the library function would become a simple wrapper).

 I'm still uncertain if wasting a syscall number is that great idea, but
we would be free from any compatibility problems.  And yes, I still think
an ll/sc emulation could be done independently anyway.

 Maciej