Re: Cross compiling RPMs

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 10:15:21AM -0800, Mike McDonald wrote:

>   Can anyone point me to some references of techniques for cross
> compiling RPMs? I want to build some packages for my little endian
> MIPS but I haven't found any info on cross compiling RPMs in the RPM
> docs nor "Maximum RPM". Any pointers would be appreciated. (I'm
> particularly interested in how to specify the tool chain.)

Mike,

Most GNU packages allow you to specify environment variables such
as CC, AR, RANLIB, etc when invoking the "configure" command.  So
you will need to set those variables in your spec file
where "configure" is invoked.

If a package itself is not cross-compiling friendly, you need to
make it cross-compilable first. :-)

If you only cross-compile one package, I suggest you read through
spec file and do the job manually (untar, applying patch, configure,
make, make install, etc).

Jun