Re: floating point on Nevada cpu

"Kevin D. Kissell" wrote:

> I had essentially the same problem at MIPS a year or two ago,
> and I could have *sworn* that my fix, which ORed ST0_FR into
> the initial Status register value set in the startup assembly code,
> had made it into the standard distributions.  It's at about line 530
> of head.S, where a term is added to make the instruction
>
> li t1,~(ST0_CU1|ST0_CU2|ST0_CU3|ST0_KX|ST0_SX|ST0_FR)
>
> I spent days thinking it was a mipsel library problem,
> because it only turned up when I tried exercising a
> little-endian version of the same kernel that worked
> sell big-endian on the Indy.  But of course it was all
> due to the mipsel system having a boot-prom that
> cleverly enabled all the FP registers for me...
>
>             Kevin K.

Kevin,

    Your/Flo's/Ralf's thread in the MIPS Linux archives from last January was
what clued me into the ST0_FR setting in the first place.  Ralf gave arguments
why he wouldn't take your change at that time, which is why that line isn't in
the 2.4.x kernel.

    Steve

begin:vcard
n:Johnson;Steve
tel;fax:208-331-2227
tel;work:208-331-2226x11
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.ridgerun.com
org:RidgeRun, Inc.
version:2.1
email;internet:stevej@ridgerun.com
title:Senior Kernel Developer
adr;quoted-printable:;;RidgeRun, Inc.=0D=0A200 N 4th St, Suite 101		;Boise;ID;83702;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;27936
fn:Steve Johnson
end:vcard