Re: questions on the cross-compiler

With the help from Kevin Kissell,  I've found out that  the compilation
directives "set .mips3[4]" were turned on before cpu_probe() and cpu_probe
() functions in my head.S file.  This is the reason why I've got that wrong
code generated although I've specified mip1 in the gcc options.

I 've temporarily used #define to add "set .mips1" in the code to fix the
problem.   My question now,  is: how can we make the kernel code flexible
to free from the problem of the one that I've got?

Thanks,

Lisa

                    "Kevin D.
                    Kissell"             To:     <Lisa.Hsu@taec.toshiba.com>
                    <kevink@mips.        cc:
                    com>                 Subject:     Re: questions on the cross-compiler

                    01/05/01
                    11:14 AM

> Thanks so much for replying my email.   From the specs file, I did see
> -U__mips64 which means it was undefined.

But undefining the symbol __mips64 is not really the same
thing as setting the internal compiler state to generate mips1,
mips2, or whatever.  In assembler code, one can generally
control this with something like ".set mips1"  or "set .mips1"
(I forget the semantics), but I didn't think that the code generator
or assembler paid any attention to __mips64 or any other
compile-time symbol.

> We have another reference board uses the same processor but is running in
> little-endian.  I've checked the gcc -v output on it and compare with
mine.
> The options are the same but it correctly generated "addiu" instruction
> instead of the wrong "daddiu" instruction.   I've tried to configure to
> little-endian and re-compiled.  The result of the "la" instruction still
> the same.  So the tool chain is not the problem.

At some level, there is an option being fed to the tool
chain in one environment that is not being supplied in
the other.  The behavior you are seeing is completely
correct behavior for 64-bit code generation, but 64-bit
is not normally the default.  *Something* is turning it on,
either in the gcc specs, a makefile or make-include file,
or in the source code itself.  It's not out of the question,
by the way, that your source code is really doing this
to you.  Is there a "mips3" or "mips4" string anywhere
in the head.S file, or in anything it includes?  It may be
that there's some set of conditional compilation directives
such that a .mips3 directive is being turned on by mistake
for your particular platform.  It wouldn't be the first time I
came across Linux kernel code that was allegedly for MIPS
in general, but which was in fact specific to R4000-and-above
CPUs.

> The gcc -v listed out all the options as shown in my original email under
> #3.  Do you know what else I can check?

Well, you can eliminate the specs file and compiler defaults
as suspects if you just generate a file containing just the "la"
instruction  and run "gcc-mips -c foo.S" with no fancy flags,
includes, or make artifacts, and see what instructions it generates.

<Lisa.Hsu@taec.toshiba.com>
>                     <kevink@mips.        cc:
>                     com>                 Subject:     Re: questions on
the
cross-compiler