Re: your mail

If the BFD stuff is built with any support for 64 bit (even as an
optional target) it will maintain all addresses as 64-bit values, even
if the file is 32 bit.

There is a bug in that "some" newer versions of objcopy will not allow
you to translate these sign-extended 32 bit addresses into Intel Hex
format.

If you're really only doing 32-bit mips you might consider removing the
64 bit targets in the config.bfd... I think that will solve the problems.