Tips, HOWTOs or FAQs for starting a new platform?

Good morning,

I've recently started a port to a new platform that includes an R3000 MIPS processor and a
bunch of IO on a single chip, and I'm wondering anyone else on the list who has done that same
can point me to any particularly-helpful HOWTOs, FAQs, tips, other other docs. In particular,
I'm looking for information on the arch-specific parts of the kernel.

Thanks,
--Glenn Serre
gaserre@innovisiontv.com