Is it possible to use fopen() in Ming-0.4.0-rc1

We had a site that was using ming-0.3.0 and php extensions. It was working well and an older server (PHP4/MySQL4) that crashed recently. We sucessfully installed ming-0.4.0.rc1 on a Fedora 9 (PHP5/MySQL5) and were hoping to move the site to a higher level ming but found that ming-0.3 samples that we used to base the programming of our site are not working same anymore regarding the fopen() function.

A specific example from the www.gazbming.com site is the "swfprebuilt video" example.

The ming-0.3 server we had used the exact same fopen() format throughout it's programming to insert the video clips as
$video = new SWFPrebuiltClip(fopen("video.swf", "rb"));

On the new server where we now have ming-0.4.0.rc1 working we can still get the video clip insertion in this example to work but the line above needs to be re-written as
$video = new SWFPrebuiltClip("video.swf");

Is this something that needs to be changed throughlout the ming 3 programming from our end to upgrade to ming 4 or is it a server issue with some unmet requirement that could be corrected by reconfiguring something? My preference is to continue using the format $video = new SWFPrebuiltClip(fopen("video.swf", "rb")); in ming 4 and would like to know if that is possible of if the use of fopen() is specific only to ming 3.

If anyone has experienced same issues and knows how to correct this I would appreciate any assistance.

Below is the script that we used for testing ming 3 and it was workign well on our old server.

<?
/********************************************************************************
* @ File: swfprebuiltvideo.php
* @ Original date: August 2004 @ www16.brinkster.com/gazb/ming/
* @ Version: 1.2
* @ Author: gazb.ming [[@]] gmail.com - www.gazbming.com
* @ Released under GNU Lesser General Public License - http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
********************************************************************************/

// some typical movie variables
Ming_setScale(20.0000000);
ming_useswfversion(6);
$movie=new SWFMovie(6);
$movie->setDimension(550,400);
$movie->setBackground(rand(0,0xFF),rand(0,0xFF),rand(0,0xFF));
$movie->setRate(12);

$video = new SWFPrebuiltClip(fopen("video.swf", "rb"));
$m1 = $movie->add($video);
$m1->moveTo(10,10);

// save swf with same name as filename
$swfname = basename(__FILE__,".php");