Going crazy with Unicode Fonts!!

Hi:

I have an application based on ming+perl here:

http://pattie.fe.up.pt/i_know_that_artist/

It is a graph drawing thing using last.fm's data. It works great most
of the times (try U2), but I found out that there is a (not so) small
catch. Because the "default" ming applications (Bitstream) don't
include japanese, chinese, etc.. fonts the flash program crashes when
it gets a japanese, cyrillic, etc... character. I found that after a
while, but that seems to be the problem. Try "kraftwerk" on the
previous application

The solution would be to get a font with glyphs for all the unicode
chars that can be read by ming. I read a few things on the web about
converting ttf using ttftofft and then using makefdb but it does not
work for me (osx and ubuntu), using a wide variety of ttf fonts in my
system. The problem here is that ttftofft does not include all the
glyphs in the swf file (just the regular western ones...). Is there a
command line option for this...?

OK! I read about an alternative to this procedure. Use Flash editor
to generate a flash file, embed the fonts an then run makefdb on that
file. I'm using flash mx and I do generate a file with several MB's
but makefdb seems unable to produce ANY file. It only says the it got
a certain version from the input file (i tried exporting from flash
mx under versions 8 and 9)... Is there any catch? the swf files open
correctly....

Then: I tried using alternative tools. I read about a font2swf tool
that is distributed unde swftools package. Aperantly it is able to
generate a wsf file from any ttf font. I can open swf in any flash
player. Great! But did it work! No because the makefdb complains
about that file (a wrong offset somewhere). I'm using the Code2002
unicode font (http://www.code2000.net/) and swf was generated by the
font2swf tool from code2002.ttf:

las@pattie:~/swf$ makefdb output.swf
File version: 4
Writing font 'Code2002' to file 'font0.fdb' (7744458 bytes)...
Failed: Permission denied
  Stream out of sync after parse of blocktype 778 (Confused Block
Type). 7744501 but expecting 7887619.

Error parsing block (unknown block type: 778)

It still produces a fdb file (a large one as it should be) but ming
does not open the file....

I'm about to give up.... . :(

Can anyone point me to any swf unicode font files already pre-
built..? :)

Pleasssse...

Cheers,

LS