Re: Removing Mssgs., Inconsistency

> On May 5, 2008 at 18:19, Douglas Kline wrote:
>
> > I wanted to expunge an accumulation of spam,  When other attempts left the
> > links to messages in the index file and in the message files pointing to th
> > wrong files, I decided to reconstitute the archive from scratch.  I started
> > with an empty directory and ran mhonarc on all of the spooling-type files o
> > messages.  Then I recompiled the list of spam messages because I couldn't u
se
> > the previous list because the message numbers might be different.  Then I
> > converted the spam message file names to message numbers and ran
>
> FYI, message number consistency is a known limitation wrt to
> rebuilding archives.  I.e.  If you rebuild an archive, but the
> set of messages have changed from the original archive set, then
> message numbers will not match.
>
> mharc works around this problem by utilizing namazu's message-id
> index to allow own to have "permanent" location for a message.
>
> > with the list of message numbers as arguments.
> >
> > That removed those files.  So far as I can tell, the links in the message f
il
> > es
> > to other message files are now correct.  It also re-wrote the .mhonarc.db f
il
> > e.
> > So that part worked.
>
> IIRC, you may want to run some tests on the latest version of mhonarc.
> I do not know when, but some of the logic for tagging things to update
> on message removal were improved (check NEWS file).
>
> > The index files (date1.html, date2.html, auth1.html, thrd1.html, etc.) stil
> > had references to the deleted spam messages.  So next I ran the command we
ru
> > routinely to incorporate new messages with a dummy message to re-write the
> > indices.  The dummy message was necessary because if it doesn't find any ne
> > messages it won't act.  That worked too.
>
> Have you tried -editidx?  It rewrites ALL archive pages.
>
> > Then I ran the scripts which compile the master indices (datedir.html,
> > authdir.html, thrddir.html) and that worked.
> >
> > So what's the problem?  Some of the links in the message files to indices a
re
> > wrong.  They refer to non-existent date[0-9]*.html, auth[0-9]*.html, and
> > thrd[0-9]*.html files.  How can I fix that?
>
> See comments above.  Later versions of mhonarc may fix this.
>
> Also, -editidx should provide a brute-force way to correct the files.
>
> --ewh

Thanks for the suggestions, ewh.  "-editidx" worked.  I found that unlike most
mhonarc operations this had to be run from the directory with the .html files
rather than referencing that directory with the "-outdir" option.  We will
follow up on your suggestion of looking into a more recent version of mhonarc.

Douglas Kline

========
Douglas M. Kline
kline@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx