Removing Mssgs., Inconsistency

We are running MHonArc v2.4.6 under Linux Fedora Core 6.

I wanted to expunge an accumulation of spam,  When other attempts left the
links to messages in the index file and in the message files pointing to the
wrong files, I decided to reconstitute the archive from scratch.  I started
with an empty directory and ran mhonarc on all of the spooling-type files of
messages.  Then I recompiled the list of spam messages because I couldn't use
the previous list because the message numbers might be different.  Then I
converted the spam message file names to message numbers and ran

mhonarc -rmm

with the list of message numbers as arguments.

That removed those files.  So far as I can tell, the links in the message files
to other message files are now correct.  It also re-wrote the .mhonarc.db file.
So that part worked.

The index files (date1.html, date2.html, auth1.html, thrd1.html, etc.) still
had references to the deleted spam messages.  So next I ran the command we run
routinely to incorporate new messages with a dummy message to re-write the
indices.  The dummy message was necessary because if it doesn't find any new
messages it won't act.  That worked too.

Then I ran the scripts which compile the master indices (datedir.html,
authdir.html, thrddir.html) and that worked.

So what's the problem?  Some of the links in the message files to indices are
wrong.  They refer to non-existent date[0-9]*.html, auth[0-9]*.html, and
thrd[0-9]*.html files.  How can I fix that?

TIA.

Douglas Kline

========
Douglas M. Kline