MS Outlook mail creating characters not appearing (possible solution)

[Response to private message that may prove useful to other users.]

> I have a couple of emails that were generated using MS Outlook which
> contain some html entities like smart quotes and the funny "-" character
> which just appear as "?" characters in the archive.

MS Outlook has a nasty habit of mislabeling the charset of its
messages with iso-8859-1 instead of MS's extension to it that contain
the characters being used.

Add the following in your resource file to see if it fixes the
problem:

<CharsetAliases>
cp1252; iso-8859-1
</CharsetAliases>