split archive into subdirectories, retaining threads

Hello,

I've got a lot of email (50k-100k messages) that I'd like in an archive.

This necessarily needs to be split into subdirectories (32k directory entry limit). However, threading is critical to the purpose of this archive, so I can't afford to implement the usual solution of a separate archive per month, because threads don't persist between months.

Is this possible?

I've searched around and read the documentation, and the only reference I could find was someone saying in 1996 that they'd like to find time to do something that sounded like that[1].

I've had a bit of a look through the code, and maybe it could be done quickly by changing msgnum_filename in mhutil.pl to use get_time_from_index, and then print that into the filename with DIRSEP...

I figured I'd ask first though before getting too far along that track.

Regards,

 - Simon

[1] http://www.mhonarc.org/archive/html/mhonarc-users/1996-03/msg00015.html