Re: CPU load

On July 18, 2003 at 10:27, Wilhelm Alm wrote:

> ~# top
> for a mhonarc process of 99% as a "peak" value and 20% of memory usage.
> My concern is that other tasks as a shoping cart are delayed when I am
> using mhonarc with a higher data volume.

If possible, you should use separate systems for archive processing
and things like a shopping cart.  Especially if your archives are
large and/or you are using a search indexing tool.

> 1. How to measure the "average" CPU load?
> When I try to use a longer period for refreshing as
> ~# top s d60
> I estimated a average value. but I got no value for a mhonarc process.
> Is _top_ only a peak measure tool or may I use it to get a average
> value?

You should probable direct such questions to a Linux/unix system forum.

> 2. How to control priority?
> When I use a cron job to trigger, I might reduce the priority of the
> mhonarc process by _NICE_.
> But how may I adjust the priority of the normal tasks as background
> indexing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "indexing".  You should be able to
use the nice program to start programs with a given priority.

--ewh