Re: Potential bug with image handling in MH 2.6.0?

On March 5, 2003 at 18:41, "Edward Wildgoose" wrote:

> I really need to think about how to let them keep the functionality, because
> to a large extent they don't/needn't care about Outlook bugs...  I wonder if
> most browsers would display this correctly if I completely removed the
> erroneous "height" tag and just left the width tag?

Then the image would be displayed with natural height of the image,
probably causing a even larger distortion.

> Also, apologies for my ignorance, but what sort of XSS vulnerabilities do I
> expose myself to if there is a password protected update mechanism.  Is the
> risk that a particular user could upload something nasty for when another
> user views it?

Correct.  It all comes to a matter of much you trust the sender of
the message.  Since anyone can view the archived message, a person
could include scripting in an attempt to steal information, like
a cookies from those who view the message.

> Also, is it easy for me to modify the code to allow limited style tags to be
> available?

Depends on what you want to limit.  Ideally, you want to avoid having
to do full CSS syntax parsing.

> Can you point me to the relevant lines please?  (Perhaps I could
> use a regexp to allow only style tags with height and width attributes?)

See mhtxthtml.pl.

--ewh