Re: [approved] Re: db and indexes not being udpated with -add

On October 17, 2002 at 22:01, monharc@interlinx.bc.ca wrote:

> > I recommend separating the archiving from Mailman so it
> > can be managed separately.
>
> How come?

It separates the administration of list software from archiving
software.  This way, list software changes will not potential break
your archives.

> > Maybe use a approach advocated by
> > mharc, <http://www.mhonarc.org/mharc/>.
>
> Specifically, to subscribe the archiver to the list and have MHonArc
> process messages as a recipient

Yes.

> rather than with the -add?

No.  -add is needed when doing archive updates.  mharc uses -add since
it is more efficient than regenerating an archive each time.

> I have
> looked at mharc only very briefly this evening because I like the look
> and feel of the MHonArc list archive and was interested in duplicating
> it.  But another day perhaps.  :-)

The installation process is designed to make it quick to get things
going.  However, it does depend on other packages: procmail and namazu,
which the installation process checks for.  If using Linux, procmail
is generally installed by default, and there is generally packages
(RPM, deb, et.al) for Namazu.

--ewh