Message Summaries

I'm trying to make an archive where there's a brief summary of the
message, (e.g. the first 20 words of the email body), included in the
message list.  Basically, I want to make something that looks like a
Slashdot type site, but without all the community features that those
systems seem to include.  Has anyone done something like that?  If so,
I'd appreciate any tips / configurations.

Thanks,
Karyl