Re: Automatic linking to a mhonarc archive

On August 9, 2002 at 01:00, Alan Burlison wrote:

> I'd quite like to link to the appropriate place on the appropriate
> message index page, rather than directly to one of the messages

A clarification: Are you stating that you would like to link the
location in the index page that lists the message with the specified
bug ID?

> see how to do that without picking apart the .mhonarc.db file.  Is there any
> easy way to do this that I'm missing?

Since you will be linking to something based upon the message number
assigned to an archived message, I would map the bug-id to the
message number since the message number is used as anchors in index
pages, assuming this is what you want.

Now, to do the mapping, I would do it in the $mhonarc::CBMessageBodyRead
callback since you do not have some (guaranteed) information available
when $mhonarc::CBMessageHeadRead is read (and the information I am
refering to is the message number assigned to the message).

In your $mhonarc::CBMessageBodyRead, you can get the message number
as follows:

  $msg_number = mhonarc::fmt_msgnum(
		    $mhonarc::IndexNum{$fields_hash_ref{'x-mha-index'}});

Accessing the message number is not abstracted out very good since
you need to access the %IndexNum hash directly.  If you want the
actual filename for the message, do:

  $msg_file = mhonarc::get_filename_from_index(
		    $fields_hash_ref{'x-mha-index'});

Since the message filename is based upon the message number, you could
extract the number for $msg_file.

Now, with all that said, you may be better off using a search
engine tool, and the link you make to the archive actually invokes
a search.  This way, you will actually link to all messages that
have the bug ID mentioned in it.

--ewh