Re: MHonArc and multi-byte characters in HTML

On Thu, 04 Oct 2001, Earl Hood wrote:

> I'm unsure how to deal with the string clipping issue with respect to
> resource variables: e.g. $SUBJECT:72$.  I see this a fundamental issue
> with Perl itself since there is no built-in string type that abstracts
> this problem (like strings in Java) in a simple and efficient matter,
> yet.  An approach that would ignore the problem but make sure nothing
> bad happens is to change all default resources settings to not using
> the clipping support in resource variables.  Therefore, any clipping
> must be explicitly specified under the advisory of the problems that
> multi-byte character encodings may cause.  I believe I will go make
> this kind of change to default resource settings for v2.5.

the only effect would be on half a character, which is minimal
and would even indicate the variable had been clipped, so I
think disabling clipping in the case of multi-byte character
encodings would be a worse cure than the disease.

--
Greg Matheson                Autonomous language learning:
Chinmin College              My next project after overseeing