Re: Limiting Archive size

On Thu, 05 Jul 2001 19:55:56 -0700
Earl Hood <ehood@hydra.acs.uci.edu> wrote:

> On July 4, 2001 at 21:48, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Where the happy spot is for you is a local decision.  I don't
>> like paged indexes so I don't do those.  I break my archives into
>> periods

> It seems paged indexes would be more usable than having a 2000
> message listing on a single page.  Takes awhile to load over slow
> connections.

Yup.  2K is definitely at the end of the usable scale.  1K seems
workable on a 28.8K.  Everything from there its a value choice.  I
adjudge paged indexes more unfriendly than long load times on a
commonly reloaded/shared file and so took the single page route.

--
J C Lawrence                                             claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                                http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/