Re: An archiver which generates dynamic contents

Earl Hood wrote :

> I never said "can't".  But I did say it would take some redesign.

Right, my fault for the wrong quotation. However,
if "can't" is too strong, I think that "redesign"
is not enough, see below.

> The issue is how much of the current code base can be modified
> to support hooks into external systems like an RDBMS.  Or, if
> a redesign should be done.

It's not a hook, it changes the fundamental way the program
works, the database is the central point of the program.
I'd say that moving mhonarc towards this direction would
be more like writing a new program with a complete different
base and reading some code from mhonarc when needed.
A lot of code indeed, as mhonarc has an impressive number
of features, so the old reused code would be bigger than
the new code but it's still a rewrite qualitatively.

Anyway, as I wrote, I worked on my own on purpose, I
considered this as a training for my first program in
python which may be valuable enough to be used by other
people.
It's not the most efficient way to make a project, but
I'm not paid for that. I'm sure that an organized team
with people like you would have done better than me
but I enjoy ;) But perl, really I couldn't. I must spent
hours and make several attempts to find out the right
syntax for something which I think natural in python,
(no flame about just the language thing please !)

Alain