Re: mhonarc2mbox: what's the latest

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Institute for Social Ecology wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Thank you for the info on mhn2mbox.  It does the job!  I'm unsure if
> Anthony is on the list, but here aer some suggestions for it's further
> development.

 I am still on the list and glad to hear that you have found the script
useful. I have been short on time to work at the updates that I got from
Eric and some other changes. Ergo I have not uploaded any changes to the
website.

 However, Eric is right, I need to get off my butt and announce it
properly. Stand by for a posting real soon now.

> - I had to do a small hack of the code so that it woud point to my mhonarc
> installation dir.  I'm sure this is different on every system (i'm on
> freebsd). Maybe a comand line attribute that would allow the user to
> select a different path to there mhonarc dir would be in order

 I think that the user should edit this rather than making a command line
attribute. On the otherhand, perhaps I could make it read information from
a config file. That is for way way down the road though.

> - I generated my list using a different prefix for each html page (ise as
> opposed to msg)  I had to hack the source so that the script would
> recognize my prefix.  Perhaps a command line atribute would be in order
> here as well.

Hmmm....

> - The archive i'm working on restoring is around 2000 msgs strong.  No
> small task!  The script runs fine up to a ertain point, but after around
> 750 msgs processed it starts hogging system resources like mad.  It
> actually brought my machine to a near stand still sucking up 85% of
> the swap file - mines at around 250mb.  Perhaps there is a better way of
> running the process?  I had to break my archive up into several smaller
> chunks manually and then run the script on each portion.

Not good... I will look into this too...

> Besides that, the script seems like it works quite well!  Thanks!

Great to hear that. Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them and
see what I can do to improve the script.

> Michael
>

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Erik Rossen wrote:

Regards,

AnthonyW