Re: Idea for the future

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 19:55:19 +0000
Gerry Hickman <gerry1@dircon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Earl,

>> > Uh? I'd say it's the other way round.

>> The concept of "simplicity" will vary depending on your point of
>> view.  For example, MHonArc as it is today is simplier than a
>> dynamic system sense no other software tools (excluding Perl) is
>> required.

> Yes, a good point and I imagine it would be tricky to support all
> the database variants across a range of platforms.

DBI is a pretty good absrtaction layer for this sort of thing.  Not
great as far as XML is concerned, but fairly transparent for the
rest.

>> A dynamic system requires the installation of a database, which
>> from my observations from many users, prefer not too muck with.

> I was assuming most most people running web servers these days
> would also be running a database, but I guess it's hard to tell
> without a user poll or something.

I'd warrant that there are more messages being archived by bobbyest
on (comparitively) tiny systems than there are under those running
SQL databases.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/