Re: Filename guarantees

On January 16, 2002 at 14:55, J C Lawrence wrote:

> > If you will be using the same MH directories as input, and you
> > have not deleted any files, you should get the same numbers
> > assigned for each message.
>
> Which is precisely what happens (and I'm very glad of it).  I'm just
> hoping that it won't change in future MHonArc versions as I'm about
> to depend on that behaviour rather heavily.

The only major change that might occur is changing from a numeric
system of identifying messages to using message-ids.  I.e.  The
filenames would be the message-id of the message.  This would allow
links to not go stale, or change, if an archive is re-created.

Since this requires some restructuring of the code, it may not
be done for sometime.  And if done, it should probably be a
configurable option since some users like the numbering system and
for some operating systems, the filenaming limitations may not
make using message-ids as filenames possible.

--ewh