Re: n900 and sd card IO errors

joerg Reisenweber wrote at 2013-09-13 06:45 -0500:
> On Fri 13 September 2013 05:16:36 green wrote:
> > (For some reason, it was sometimes 'mmcblk0' instead of 'mmcblk1', but
> > either way the messages happened only when there is external SD card
> > IO.)
>
> mmc0 when you booted with uSD in, mmc1 when you inserted it after booting

I always shut down the device when inserting or removing the card, but
maybe I forgot once this time.

> > e2fsck (using N900 as reader) returns errors like this (line breaks
> > added again):
> >
> > Error reading block 1376258 (Attempt to read block from filesystem \
> > resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.  Ignore \
> > error<y>?
> >
> > But everything works great with a SD card reader on a regular Linux
> > system.
> >
> > So I tried upgrading to kernel-power v52, tried the stock kernel, and
> > tried reflashing to stock everything.  Same errors.
> >
> > It seems like from
> > <http://maemo.org/community/maemo-users/n900_microsd_card_i-o_errors_and_co
> > rruption/> and
> > <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/maemo/users/65584#65591> that this
> > error happens with the higher speed class SD cards, but has been worked
> > around starting with v49 of kernel-power.  Does anyone have any idea why I
> > suddenly began to experience these IO errors?
>
> Electrical properties of MMC interfaces are not all the same. A card that
> seems to work in one reader may fail in another.
> And a card that once worked fine may start to act up when the card's electrical
> properties change due to aging.
> The N900 also might age, try a new card of roughly same type in N900 and see
> what results you get.

Back to the reliability of floppy disks.  Maybe the N810 and N900 both
have poor quality readers.  Until now, I have been able to recover
from problems with fsck and have assumed poor quality SD cards.  But I
have not had any card reader other than via the N810 or N900.  Note
that I always purchase cards of reputable brands from reputable
sellers.  In this case, SanDisk from Radio Shack (if Radio Shack can
be considered reputable anymore).