Re: N900 consumes too much power

Dne 6.8.2012 17:04, Paul Hartman napsal(a):
On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 3:52 AM, Pavel Řezníček <cigydd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear comaemoers,

I have recently read an article, a review of Nokia N900. The reviewer stated
that his device lasts 3 days on battery when only sometimes calling or
writing SMS.
This is what I hardly can believe because my N900 lasts only 3, max. 6 hours
on battery and then the battery gets discharged.
Was the reviewer kidding or is something wrong with my mobile computer?
I have recently bought a new battery and the effect is minimal.
My device was in repair service already and they changed the motherboard. It
helped a bit but I never made it to that 3 days on battery.
Any ideas? :-)
Using Scud battery + CSSU + kernel-power with smartreflex enabled,
usually but not always connected to either 3.5G cellular internet or
wifi, with email refresh every 15 minutes, no IM or voip accounts, no
wifi autoconnect, brightness set to 2nd lowest setting, usually it
will last me about a day and a half.

If I'm listening to streaming music then battery dies much faster, a
time measured in hours not in days.

Some installed programs/widgets may be consuming CPU, daemons running
in the background. HAM auto-update check can be a killer if you have a
lot of repos enabled. If you are familiar with standard linux tools
you can look in top and similar and find out what's running.

BatteryGraph package is great, it will show when your battery usage is
occurring, whether you are connected to gprs or wifi at the time.
Maybe you can figure out if battery loss is constant or if there's a
particular activity you did that is causing rapid drain.

I also find that battery drain is affected by environmental
conditions. If the N900 is in my pocket all day, or I'm in a place
with poor signal, battery drains faster than if it is sitting on my
desk with full bars.

N900 in offline mode will last a week, but is not as fun. :)
Thank you, Paul!

As I already announced on another place in this thread,
  1. I use BatteryGraph now a lot. I monitor the power consumption thoroughly.
  2. I have kernel-power-50 and CSSU installed.
  3. I'm going to enable smartreflex.
  4. I'm going to remove the calendar and location widgets from the desktop (even though I loved to have the calendar close to my eyes…).
  5. I started to use AutoDisconnect.
  6. I reduced the WiFi power from 100 mW to 10 mW.
  7. The biggest battery killer was hildon-input-method having corrupt autocompletion dictionaries. I asked here if we should raise a bug against this situation.

Pavel