Re: Permissions on /etc/sudoers messed up - reflash?

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Philipp Haselwarter
<philipp.haselwarter@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I chmod 0640'ed /etc/sudoers on my N900 and closed the terminal -.-
> sudo gainroot/chmod/... fails complaining about the permissions, the gui
> package manager does so silently.
> Can't mount the filesystem root offline on another device to chmod 0440
> back (?), can't login as root locally, ssh to localhost seems to work but I
> don't have the slightest idea about the root password.
>
> Any way to avoid a reflash?

The root password should be the one you created when you installed the
rootsh package. If you forgot it, then...

I have not tried it, but you might be able to use a rescue initrd like
the one described here to gain access to your rootfs:
http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900/Using_Rescue_Initrd

There are also a few things that could have helped, had you installed
them ahead of time, like backupmenu, or if you have NITdroid or MeeGo
in a dual-boot environment you might be able to use them to edit your
file permissions.

Good luck!