Is it possible to install a modified version of Modest mail?

Hello all

I really would like to use my N900 to check my mail all the time. I thought that after PR 1.2 there would be an option to somehow place limits on the downloaded messages. Since it seems to be none, I can't use it because my data plan is too expensive for emails that include Video and PPS attachements.

I was wondering... I could, in theory, make a quick hack to the email client application to query the total size before downloading anything and just refuse to download stuff larger than some Kbytes. I could do better (still in theory): check the current connection type and respect the limits only when not in wifi.

If I did it, how could I install that application (since it is an "official" application)?

What are your thought on this?

Cheers,
Luis