Re: [mafw-lastfm-devel] [ANN] maemo-scrobber 1.0 for last.fm + libre.fm

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Alberto Garcia <agarcia@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 04:10:28PM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>
>> mafw-lastfm:
>> last.fm: scrobble: yes, now playing: yes
>> libre.fm: scrobble: no, now playing: no
>>
>> maemo-scrobbler:
>> last.fm: scrobble: yes, now playing: no
>> libre.fm: scrobble: yes, now playing: no
>  [...]
>> "now playing" is a feature that users would barely notice
>
> Well, that's a respectable opinion, but I for one consider it one of
> the most basic features of any Last.fm client.

Well, basic, yes, but important? Can you live with the web interface
showing "just listened" vs "now playing"? Or, what would you rather
have a) rock-solid queue handling, or b) support for now-playing? In a
mobile device I think a) is more important, but in a desktop I think
b) is probably the case.

Besides, I believe the best mafw-lastfm can do right now is; if you
are disconnected for two hours, when you are connected back, you don't
have now-playing until two hours pass. I would not consider that
top-notch support for now-playing. So, I don't think loosing that
_temporarily_ in favor of a more generic library with other benefits
(IMHO better suited for mobile) is a bad trade-off.

In any case, I filed an issue for that... you are welcome to vote up:
http://github.com/felipec/maemo-scrobbler/issues#issue/1

> And not that I have anything against Libre.fm (quite the contrary),
> but I'd say that at this moment it is the lack of Libre.fm support the
> feature that most users won't notice.

Yes, but we agree that there must be some users out there, right?
(otherwise other clients would probably not have implemented
multi-scrobbling). Now, would you rather keep a feature that's not
essential to the majority of users, and probably quite marginal, than
providing support for libre.fm users, who can do nothing at all? IOW;
taking a bit from the majority, to give a lot to the minority. I think
not doing that is egotistical.

Anyway, it's probably not worth discussing more. I decided not to
provide now-support and concentrate on multi-scrobbling for v1.0, but
I will do so soon. Feedback is appreciated if you feel this is an
important feature, specially in the form of votes in the issue
tracker.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras