Re: Still Good Time To Bye an N900?

> Should I get it?

The answer largely depends on what you want and what cellular carriers you
have available to you.

There is no phone on the market w/ as much free software goodness and
hackability. Other phones have similar hardware (iPhone, Droid, Droid Incredible
and Nexus One come to mind). Both Android and iPhone have more
applications for sale for their respective devices. Also consider that the N900
is a better mobile computing device then a phone.

The  Cellular carrier situation in the US limits the capabilities of
the N900. Only
AT&T and T-mobile support the phone. And T-mobile is the only carrier in the
US that supports the full data throughput of the N900. Neither carrier
is considered
the best in the US. Any issues like this elsewhere in the world should be known
before making a purchase.

> is there plans for a new N900b or something of the sort?

Almost definitely. But we have little official word when or what that will be.

Every manufacturer of Android phones is working on other devices. We
know now that there is another generation of the iPhone. This provides a lot of
choice in the smartphone market. Nokia continuing the symbian line
provides more choice w/in the same manufacturer.

> and therefore it may be prudent to wait a while?

Prudence will always have you waiting in the technology market. There are
many other factors involved that probably should be discussed when spending
this much money.

Keep in mind that even though Nokia will not officially support MeeGo on
the N900, there is already community support for MeeGo on the N900. Qt 4.6
will be installed on the N900. The device will likely be useful as a mobile
hacking platform for some time to come. If the N810 is any indicator,
that period
of usefulness could be quite long.

Erik Hovland
erik@xxxxxxxxxxx