Re: MeeGo community demo

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM, Xavier Bestel wrote:
Yes, but that's really not my conception of "community supported".
And on a more pragmatic note, I see you never tried to make the
"poulsbo" driver (proprietary Intel driver for GMA500) work with an
up-to-date linux distribution. It's plainly impossible.

I haven't had that particular pleasure but OpenBSD has been against "binary blob" drivers for some time and I can certainly see the wisdom in that. I was pretty impressed with Broadcom's Crystal HD chipset being released the way it was, however, as it's fully functional under Linux, OS X and Windows -- all of which have very different licensing schemes. But I don't know that it could be leveraged for X acceleration as it's geared toward HD codec functionality. I wish more chipset vendors would follow their lead. Alas, Intel has always been slow to adapt and used the proprietary mantra as their shield against anything they're unwilling to do.

-Gary