Re: Bluetooth PAN on N900

Hi,

>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 00:18:24 +0400
>From: Vitaly Bordug <vitb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: Bluetooth PAN on N900
>To: Dave Neary <dneary@xxxxxxxxx>
>Cc: maemo-users@xxxxxxxxx
>
>? Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:38:57 +0200
>Dave Neary <dneary@xxxxxxxxx> ?????:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Andre Klapper wrote:

>> > I think maemo-pan is in the Maemo4 (diablo) repository. I don't
>> > recommend using that repository on Maemo5 (fremantle) though if you
>> > don't exactly know what you are doing.
>>
>> OK then - what is PAN? How can I share a network connection from my
>> cellular device (N900 or other) with other devices over Bluetooth from
>> Maemo 4 and Maemo 5 devices?
>>

>When stumbled upon this topic, I did some small investigation but fall
>back to use DUN after all.
>
>Enabling "network" is enough to get your PC connect over BT to N900
>using PAN (and well, bluetooth manager on my Linux box reports
>success). But to use that connection, it is not enough. N900 should set
>up PAN network interface, and enable dhcp over that, as well as IP
>forwarding. In that case, network connection will be shared over PAN
>and (potentially) it will be possible for several devices to "tether"
>that way, using N900 as BT gateway.
>
>Practically, it is not apparent to establish, and BT bandwidth is
>limited anyway, so for similar usage profile WIFI hotspot mode serves
>better; and BT DUN (using package available for Fremantle) in usual
>tethering case.

Check Maemo PC Connectivity for setting up BT (or WLAN or USB) networking for N900 and N8x0 devices.

http://maemo.org/news/announcements/maemo_pc_connectivity_2nd_edition_final_released/

The PreFinal version of Maemo PC Connectivity Tutorial is available as HTML and PDF document here:

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php

Cheers,
//Jarmo