N900: Git / symlink weirdness on ext3 sd card?

I have my micro-sd card formatted as ext3. On that card, I have a git
repository. In that git repository, I have some symlinks. On other
computers with the same repository, the symlinks are symlinks. On the
N900 however, the symlinks have become just files, whose only content is
the name of the file they are supposed to target. So, "foo" should be a
symlink to "bar". But instead, "foo" is a file with contents "bar".

git status shows everything as normal -- it does not think anything has
been modified or is weird. git reset --hard HEAD does not change
anything.

The filesystem does not appear to be otherwise corrupted.

Any ideas what the heck is going on here?

--
-John Sullivan
-http://wjsullivan.net