Re: Java for Maemo 5?

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Aldon Hynes
<Aldon.Hynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I installed Sun's Embedded Java 1.6.0_10 when I first got my N900 back in
> December.  I managed to get java applications to run, but didn't have any
> luck with java applets in a browser.  If I spent more time, I suspect there
> may be ways to get it to work.
>
> Aldon

That´s because you´re missing the Java _plug-in_.

See, Java is two things. A virtual machine (VM) or JRE (runtime
environment). That allows running desktop java applications.

And then there´s the Java plug-in, a single file that´s installed in
the browser and acts as interface between the browser and the Java
runtime.

In your desktop PC, open Firefox, then type "about:plugins" in the URL
entry field.

You´ll notice:

Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U16

    File name: npjp2.dll
    Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_16 for Mozilla browsers

Well, that single DLL is the "Java plug-in".

I bet there´s no plug-in for Maemo browsers, and that´s it.

If that´s the case, then it´s the same situation that happened with
64-bit Linux, which had a Sun JRE; but not a browser plug-in, for
years. http://bitbud.com/tag/java-64bit-jre-firefox-proxmox/

FC