Re: Not enough memory

---- Eero Tamminen <eero.tamminen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>It cannot, for several reasons.
>The ... metadata is ... based on ...  space .. which may be block based, unlike UBIFS.

I don't think anyone is going to care if it's off by 5 to 10%, since that's already the case.  The existing estimates are usually off for many of the reasons you state already, who cares if the breakdown is off a little?

As for the rest, the tools certainly can know where the files are going.  The paths are stored in the package, and a simple test-extract will tell you the paths and rough size of a file.  A simple pearl script could be setup to tally the counts based on the default N900 mounting layout, build a percentage, and show how much is root vs opt vs ...

No, you can't show what it will take for a compressed file system, or one that's been linked differently.  But even a rough idea for a *standard* N900 setup would be nice.  If a package moves things or unpacks things during it's install, well... that's unavoidable, and again is _already_ not showing up in the usage estimate we're getting now.

I think you're just taking this a little too literally.  Nobody is asking for exact numbers for all scenarios.  People just want a little more detail on how the existing estimate breaks down when it comes to rootfs vs storage.  Nobody is expecting it to work to the byte, but for most packages it's going to give a pretty good idea of how much space it will take, and make it much clearer which packages have been optified vs which ones have not.