RE: Bad experience with N900 onboard GPS.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it is based on what you have selected in
Settings... Location...

If you enable GPS and Network Positioning, I would guess you get Assisted Global Navigation Satellite System (AGNSS)

If you enable GPS and don't enable Network Positioning, I would guess you get Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS)

If disable GPS and enable Network Positioning, I would guess you get Assisted Complementary Wireless Positioning (ACWP)

and if you diable both, I would guess you get Complementary Wireless Positioning (CWP)

Aldon