RE: Bad experience with N900 onboard GPS.

Based on the documentation of the GPS software, the GPS can run in four different modes,

Complementary Wireless Positioning (CWP) - This is based on the location of the country and/or the GSM base station location.  It does not use the onboard GPS at all, but depends on the SIM card.

Assisted Complementary Wireless Positioning (ACWP)  - This is similar to CWP but requires a network connection to get better information about the GSM base station location

Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) - This uses the GPS receiver.  It does not require a network connection or a SIM card.

Assisted Global Navigation Satellite System (AGNSS) - This uses the GPS receiver, but gets additional information from a SIM card or Network connection.  It works basically the same as GNSS, but since it starts with a good guess at the location is often faster on startup than GNSS.

I had a little fun writing some software for the N900 to track a drive I took a while ago.  All of the data was extracted using AGNSS and saved to a file which I loaded into Google Maps.  You can see the map of my trip, as well as read about the programming I did at

#N900 - My New Gps
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3884

(The link to liblocation in the blog post is where you can also read more information about the various GPS modes)

Aldon