Re: WiFi usage issues.

Bernard Tyers wrote:
My issue has been that when using WiFi interface, some web services
do not seem to work, namely SMTP/IMAP/app-manager. When I use 3G/2G
all services work as expected.

I have the same issues with some wifi connections, but not all.

I use IMAP/SSL and SMTP for my email on all devices, and a few locations appear to have those ports blocked (pubs, cafes, etc). When asked, they all claim not to, but I suspect either they don't know, or their provider is blocking them. It all works fine on my own network at home.

The problem holds regardless of device: it's the same for those affected locations with the identical setup on my laptop and my N800 as on my HTC Hero (no N900 for me).

This is the same setup as my home WiFi connection, except I use WPA
for encryption. The ISP (Eircom.ie) is the same, and the router
version and firmware version is the same.

Eircom as a provider has known issues with arbitrary blocking of ports, I was told by a colleague who ought to know. The fact that 993 (SMTP/SSL) is relatively rarely used may mean they just block it on principle. I have had this issue connecting to an Eircom wifi point somewhere recently (using my FON login).

* I cannot however download IMAP mail, send SMTP mail, or use
app-manager.

I have had a related problem with some connections which allow the IMAP but block SMTP. I have put it down to a combination of excessive security zeal and ignorance.

If you're in Ireland (as you appear to be if you're using Eircom), you might ask the ILUG.

///Peter