Re: Nokia N900 : problems connecting to home Wireless LAN (from ADSL)

On 8 February 2010 10:01, Alessio Stella <alessio.stella@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all,
>     I have a new Nokia N900 that connects very bad to the wireless (WLAN
> WiFi as you will call it) of the router connected to my ADSL internet
> connection. This router has no problems with several PCs i have used so far.
> Instead the Nokia N900 connects, is able to download some emails or
> low-weight web pages but is very slow and has many problems in downloading
> most web pages. If instead I connect my Nokia N900 to the mobile (GSM GPRS
> UMTS as you might call it) data connection the connection is faster and i
> can download without much problems most web pages I have tried. The
> connection is much better with mobile GPRS then with Wireless!! Please help
> me!
> I have also asked for a substitution of the device, I have tried with
> another Nokia N900 and again the same behaviour.
>
> Alessio Stella

The N900 has a rather aggressive power management policy over wifi.

If you go edit your WiFi connection settings (in Settings->Internet
Connections-><you WiFi connection> ->
Advanced Panel -> Other
you will see the "Power saving" drop down selector. By default is On
at Maximum, try lowering it to On Intermediate first and then totally
Off if you still experience problems and I am sure it will work fine
with your router.
The issue is, the lower you set that setting, the more battery it'll
suck out of your N900.

Thus, if you really want to use the N900 at its max when at home, I'd
suggest to change it.

Aniello