Re: iPad

> Fine, put a customized UI on top, but most if not all of that could be
> solved with only a custom touchscreen driver, just like all the fancy
> things you can do with Logitech's mouse/trackball drivers (not that I
> ever install them any more). But it's VERY important to keep the
> underlying OS a full desktop version, complete with *all* the apps in
> the standard repositories with no porting necessary. Anything else

You are retracing the steps of Maemo here :) The original GTK+ stuff and
interface were much closer to upstream GTK+. The hildon things and other
customizations were introduced *exactly* because desktop UI elements did not
give a pleasant user interface no matter how you styled them. You start by
restyling the menus, then input elements, then... and in the end you reach
present day Maemo :) After trying a tabletpc or two, I agree with Kate, it's
far more than just a fancy mouse pointer + virtual keyboard, using desktop
stuff with fingers is just a pain (try using openoffice, gimp or even just
the browser on a TabletPC... seems straightforward in theory, in practice
it's beyond horrible - hence the TabletPC concept fail). I agree UI API
compatibility should not be broken just on a whim, only if there really are
good reasons for it, but compromises WILL have to be made - it simply is a
different input paradigm.

> will result in a massive fail. That's Maemo's #1 failing: there are
> too many little details required when porting, standard repositories
> do NOT work, and the app base just isn't there. The Nokia ITs have

The good news is that Qt holds a promise to solve this. If it really is true
that Qt 4.6 things even without DUI will be first class citizens, things will
be a lot easier. On Maemo 5 I already develop my Qt4.6 apps with the desktop
version of Qt and just compile/run in scratchbox when I want to test or
deploy, the differences are really that minimal.

Regards,
Attila