gst-launch and openmax

So, I've been reading about a lot of fun things that I could do with my N900, if I can just figure out how...

In particular, I'm interested in exploring what I could do with the camera.  For example, I would love to set up a script to create high dynamic range (HDR) photographs.  It seems like the best way to do this is to write a script that would take three pictures in a row, with exposer setting of +2, 0 and -2.  It seems like gstreamer might give me that ability.  So, I've started looking at it.  However the examples for taking pictures via gstreamer talk about using omx_jpegenc, the OpenMax jpeg encoder.  However, I don't have that installed on my N900 and I can't figure out how to get it installed.  Is anyone using this that could give me some hints?

Beyond that, the idea of Kite Aerial Photography, which also uses gstreamer and omx_jpegenc looks especially interesting.  Anyone tried anything like that, or have other interesting photography ideas?

Aldon