Re: Garnet VM beta 5 on the N900

The error is due to the fact that the N900 doesn't have a divided menu area like the 700 and 800 series did.  Their application menu was divided up into functional sub-menus, similar to what Catorise does for the N900.  The app it's trying to run would place the desktop icon in the proper sub-folder.  One could easily make a script or small program of the same name that just returned the expected result code and most packages would run just fine.

The only real "gotchas" about running apps for the N800 series is that some of the libraries they call for are much older, and may have a slightly different API in the new versions.  That and the fact that they don't expect to run full-screen, since the previous tablet series had it's menu on the left side as a side-bar, and it wasn't retractable the way our top-based menu is.  (Which means most don't have close or task switch buttons either...)

I'd love to see an "N820 emulator" package that one could launch to run older apps.  It could put a side-bar in with launch, close and task-switch icons, and maybe throw in the placebo select-menu executable as well which could move desktop icons for older apps into a separate launch menu used in the emulator.  Would be great to leverage the 800 libraries for the 900 as much as possible.

---- Aldon Hynes <Aldon.Hynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

=============
Nelson,

   Can you walk me through what you needed to do to get it running?  e.g.
Did you download the OS2008 version?  For the N800 or the N810?  Does it
make a difference which one?  Any gotchas to be aware of?

   I just tried installing the N800 version using dpkg -i and it gave me an
error message
/var/lib/dpkg/info/garnet-vm.postinst: line 22: maemo-select-menu-location:
not
found

   I managed to start it successfully, but I could not find any easy way to
kill it.  Comments on that?

   Also, any comments on how to get and load other Palm apps?

Aldon