Re: Google services

2010/1/7 Andrea Grandi <a.grandi@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> 2010/1/7 Kevin T. Neely <ktneely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> This might be naive, but since the N900 runs a fully capable mozilla browser
>> (i.e. fennec) why does it need a suite of Google applications?
>>
>> Now, if it had the enhanced Google Maps app with voice navigation, that
>> would be something.
>
> onestly... we talk a lot about usability and do you want to compare
> accessing Gmail from MicroB or accessing it from a native client?
> Have you tried using Google Maps from N900 browser?! It's more usable
> from Google Maps for Nokia N73 than from N900 browser....
>
> No micro-browser is enough for Google applications, neither N900 one
> nor iPhone nor Android one.... there's need for a native application
> to access certain services.

The "native client" for Google services is.. well.. the browser ?
:)

But I get what you mean, Google services like Gmail, Maps, iGoogle etc
are a bit heavy on the N900
(but it handles them quite well indeed).
And the main issue is that it is simply too small.

But we are talking here about Google services using the desktop
version of their web pages.
Google services are accessible also via their own mobile versions
(mostly developed for iPhone).

Same goes for Facebook that has a touch version.

So, I think using the native client the Google services were designed
for, it's the best way to go.

This doesn't apply to Google services like Latitude, where a nice
small daemon that updates it would be nice on the N900.
It would suck less battery and I won't have to run a full fledged
browser with the geolocation plugin just to have it updated.

--
anidel
Sent from London, Eng, United Kingdom