Re: Maemo different from GNU/Linux?

Hi Andre,

>> Well, its just like Linux next door, with the exception that there's a
>> lot of proprietary stuff arround, even for hardware support.
>> I still have to run my Nokia-770 on a (buggy and unstable!!)
>> 2.6.16.27-kernel, with a quite buggy closed-source wlan driver.
>
> 770 was four years ago, and for the N800 and N810 there is
> http://stlc45xx.garage.maemo.org/ as an open-source wlan driver.
> I really prefer to discuss the present state of Maemo as I assume that
> this was the intention of the original post.

Nice that you mention the present state of maemo.
N900 has closed source 2D/3D drivers, so you can't even get
accelerated 2D without using binary blobs.
I am not an oss fanatic, but it hinders flexibility.  You are forced
to use this or that patched kernel, this or that version of xorg and
so on.

Of course, for now who cares about running on linux-2.6.27 or 2.6.32,
but I for example only wait till the day when glibc drops support for
2.6.16 running on my nokia 770.

- Clemens