Re: accessing N900 internal gps for console apps

Craig Woodward wrote:
>> ---- Jason <maemo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ============= Aldon Hynes wrote:
>>> For a good starting point, I would recommend
>>> http://wiki.maemo.org/PyMaemo/Using_Location_API
>>>

>> Okay, that's a good start.  I found the raw C api here [1].  Does
>> this generate a tcp listener socket on 2947?  It doesn't look like
>> it.  :-( I'm shooting for a gpsd equivalent so existing gpsd aware
>> apps don't need to be modified.
>>
>> [1] -
>> http://maemo.org/api_refs/5.0/beta/liblocation/LocationGPSDControl.html
>>

> A better idea may be to write a mini-gpsd specifically for the N900
> that translates between the location API and the port.  This would
> allow the best of both worlds, since we save power when not used and
> apps talking gpsd can run without major changes.

I saw that app (minigpsd [2]) in one of the maemo repos, but apt-get
install failed with unmet dependencies.  As it was in -testing I figured
it was a work-in-progress and looked to other things...

The unmet dependencies were:
#### begin #############
  minigpsd: Depends: bluez-utils-test but it is not installable
            Depends: python2.5-gnome but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

As for a proposed project, it may be easiest to gin up a patch against
gpsd, adding support for liblocation.  I'd be curious which NMEA
sentences liblocation spits out.  If it just passes along what it
receives, that would be great.

thx,

Jason.

[2] - http://maemo.org/packages/view/minigpsd/