email use cases on N900

When an email arrives and I click on the orange email notification it
goes directly to the email but trash is greyed out and I can't delete the
message after reading it. To delete the message I need to click
back|user|inbox|message to get back to the message, this time with the trash
not greyed out. This is tedious. Is there a faster way? I get tons of spam and
need a quick easy way to delete such.

What is the mountain landscape icon? Why is it greyed out when I get to the
message by clcking user|inbox|message but not greyed out when I get to the
message by clicking on the notification. But what does it do? Even when it is
not greyed out, the "wait" icon swirled for a few seconds but nothing
noticible happened.

Also, I have all email forked to both my desktop and N900 (with procmail).
I usually read on my desktop and only read on my N900 when away from my
desktop. But if I don't clean out the inbox, email can accumulate. After a few
days I can get several hundre emails. As I have read them all on my desktop, I
want to quickly discard them on my N900. On Chinook, I could easily select all
email and click delete. I see no such easy way on Maemo5. Is there an easy way
that I am missing? The lack of such a capability would destroy my use case.

    Jeff (http://www.ece.purdue.edu/~qobi)