Re: New N900 user - Few ideas...

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Craig Woodward <woody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most of the major bugs (issues) I've had involve the GPS/Mapping system.  It's the one area that's just majorly lacking.  My biggest issue is that the GPS startup has major issues.  When enabled without "Network Positioning" turned on it almost never gets a lock before the requesting app (Ovi, camera, OmWeather) gives up.  On a few occasions I've had it tell me I was somewhere in Spain, which I'm guessing is how an error-ed return is being interpreted.

I have a Palm Centro, and using Google Maps with "my location"
(triangulation of position based on GSM tower signal levels) I
routinely get I´m near the Nairobi General Hospital, in Africa, when
in fact I´m in the middle of Buenos Aires, Argentina, South America.

:)

I think this has to do with the names given to cell towers by the phone co.

When the phone can only see one tower, and if that tower name has been
used elsewhere, the map tells you the first instance of that name that
it can find in its database.

FC