Re: Maemo different from GNU/Linux?

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 06:25:49PM +0100, Marcel wrote:

> I'm seriously planning to buy an N900 and I'm following this list
> for some time now. Someone here said some time ago that Maemo's
> userland is quite different from the typical GNU/Linux one. Having
> experienced the Neo Freerunner as "just like the Linux next door",
> I'd like to know what exactly is different from a typical (Could
> someone define that? :) ) Linux environment. Except the closed phone
> stack, of course... (It is, isn't it?)

I don't think it's very different, apart from the fact that many
"standard" packages (bash, openssh) are not installed by default for
obvious reasons.

And of course the user interface is quite different, but that is to be
expected :)

Other than that, in my opinion it is essentially a GNU/Linux
distribution.

Berto