Re: Can´t believe N900 doesn´t support 850/1900 UMTS...

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:47 AM, Timo Pelkonen <peltsip@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm just pissed off about this iwannahaveallandifidontgetitinthreesecondsiwillbeverypissedandwriteangryblognotesandtrollatforumsandcallcompanyxxxnames -attitude.

I bet quad band were left out because there was no time to get it working at the first place and it probably will be added to successors..(atleast if there are good experiences from n97 minis implementation)

Ossipena

Getting it to work on a given geographical region is not "featuritis" ("I want this and that and that too"). As Jamie Zawinsky once said about software "Shipping is a feature. Your product should have it". I agree. But also "getting it to work on all frequencies is a feature, your phone should have it". ;-)

I bet it comes down to the radio chipset used. The little I know about smartphones, the "radio" part is more or less an isolated section. The manufacturer can choose which radio chipset to use. Of course, multi-band radios cost more.

FC