Re: OS Stability

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Waelti <twaelti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> I would say the Maemo pattern has followed the Symbian pattern quite "well", including the maturity of the released software (first initial firmwares with some bugs, more mature releases with additional features later on: see Chinook > Diablo).
<snip>

I'm afraid you are giving the wrong example there, as Diablo is
several steps backward from Chinook. Chinook supports the (N800)
hardware better than and is every bit as stable as Diablo, at least
for me. I'm going back to Chinook ASAP.

Symbian evolved from Epoch, which is the OS on my Psion Series 5.
Psion first dropped hardware production and became a software-only
company (renaming Epoch to Symbian and developing it far past the
original capabilities of Epoch and licensing it to companies producing
smartphones and PDAs), then sold off the OS to somebody else (Nokia?),
and now has become "Psion Teklogix" (presumably by acquiring Teklogix)
and is producing niche handhelds running Windows CE, of all things.

Mark